Deadline: July 28, 2017
The 2018 Application cycle for the Young Professionals Program is open from June 14 – July 28, 2017
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) is a starting point for an exciting career at the World Bank Group (WBG)
It is a unique opportunity for younger talent who have both a passion for international development and the leadership potential to grow in fascinating top technical and managerial roles in the World Bank Group. The program is designed for highly qualified and motivated individuals skilled in areas relevant to WBG technical/operations such as
- public health,
- social sciences,
- urban planning,
- natural resources and others.
Every year, around 40 applicants are accepted into the program. Young Professionals are offered a five-year renewable term contract, spend 24 months in a structured development program, and enjoy a variety of benefits and opportunities.
The YPP program features includes
- Professional Experience: Young Professionals are expected to make significant contributions toward their unit’s work program while they gain a broad overview of the WBG’s policies and work. As part of their two-year program and in line with their units’ business needs and Young Professionals’ interests, they are expected to undertake a business driven “stretch/exposure assignment” where they will gain valuable on-the-job experience.
- Field Work : Young Professionals in the Operations stream are likely to join colleagues on field business trips, also called ‘missions,’ in developing countries. These missions present invaluable opportunities for Young Professionals to experience firsthand the challenges of global development, understand key aspects of our work, and get exposed to WBG’s clients and their problems.
- Training : A comprehensive development curriculum has been designed to ensure that YPs develop a WBG mindset, quickly gain the foundational learning needed to understand and contribute to the WBG, and build the competencies required at an officer’s level: collaboration, leadership, integrative thinking, and innovation skills, while strengthening a culture of continuous learning. The curriculum includes a blend of learning activities in a WBG cohort, small groups or individually, ranging from on-boarding activities, e-learning, cohort discussions with WBG leaders, leadership training, to career development conversations, and networking opportunities.
Coaching and Mentoring
The following are the minimum requirements to be eligible for the Young Professionals Program.
- Citizenship of a member country of the World Bank Group
- Be born on or after October 1, 1985
- A PhD or Master’s degree and relevant work experience
- Fluency in English
- Full proficiency in one or more of the WBG’s working languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish is desired but not required
- Specialization in a field relevant to the WBG Technical/Operations such as economics, finance, education, public health, social sciences, engineering, urban planning, agriculture, natural resources, and others
- At least three years of relevant professional experience related to development or continued academic study at the doctoral level
To be competitive for the limited number of positions, a combination of the following credentials or additional qualifications is highly desirable:
- Display a commitment and passion for international development
- Possess outstanding academic credentials
- Exhibit excellent client engagement and team leadership skills
- Have international development country experience
- Be motivated to relocate and undertake country assignments
Compensation & Benefits
- Internationally competitive salary, based on education and professional experience.
- Health, Life, Accident, and Other Insurance Programs:
- Pension Plan
- Relocation Benefits
- Relocation Travel
- Relocation Shipment
- Relocation Grant
- Mobility Premium
- Tax Allowance
- Financial Assistance
How to Apply
To apply for the YPP, visit WBG application portal, sign up or create an account to access the YPP application.
- June–September: Review of applications to ensure that candidates meet the eligibility criteria. Update of status to all candidates (candidates moving to the second round and those who are not moving forward)
- October: Technical review of second round candidates. This review takes a closer look into the application packages and determines those candidates who will be selected for interviews
- mid-November–late December: Status update to candidates (those invited to interviews and those who are not moving forward). Interviews are scheduled at WBG headquarters in Washington, D.C., USA and our office in Paris, France
- December–January: YPP interviews: learn more about the YPP interview process
- February: Decisions and offers are communicated
- September: New YP cohorts start
Find out more information here- World Bank Young Professionals Program